The Internet and the Bomb:
A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons
Table of Contents | Quick Guides | NRDC Nuclear Data | General Information | U.S. Executive Branch | U.S. Congress | International Governmental Organizations | Non-Govermental Organizations | Nuclear Weapons Issues
CHAPTER THREE: UNITED STATES CONGRESS
The Congressional Internet presence, led by an initiative nicknamed "Thomas," endeavors to make available the full text of floor activity, committee documents, as well as the various bills and laws relating to the Executive Branch's activities. The amount of information online from each body and/or committee, however, varies considerably. Committee hearings where most of the deliberations regarding policy occurs are still not online.
Congressional agencies also vary enormously in terms of their online presence. The General Accounting Office (GAO) makes available its many reports in full text online (see Appendix D for a bibliography), but the Congressional Research Service (CRS) has virtually no online presence for its Issue Briefs and Reports. This is regrettable, for it continues the now old-fashioned practice that if one is in Washington or has a friend in Congress, one can get CRS documents, but if one is merely a citizen, one cannot.
Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
The Congressional homepage, and an excellent site, with access to floor activities, bills and resolutions, the Congressional Record, and committee information.
Congressional E-mail Addresses
Today in Congress (via The Washington Post)
The Internet and the Bomb: A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons is written and maintained by William M. Arkin and Robert S. Norris. Any questions, comments or suggestions should be sent to the authors at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. This page was last updated 5/1/97
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- CTBT ratification still uncertain after 15 years of advancement in nuclear test monitoring
- posted by Bemnet Alemayehu, 11/21/14
- China Environmental News Alert - September 26, 2014
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 9/26/14
- Feeling a Cold War Chill over Ukraine
- posted by Matthew McKinzie, 7/23/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.