The Internet and the Bomb:
A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons
Table of Contents | Quick Guides | NRDC Nuclear Data | General Information | U.S. Executive Branch | U.S. Congress | International Governmental Organizations | Non-Govermental Organizations | Nuclear Weapons Issues
CHAPTER TWO: U.S. EXECUTIVE BRANCH ORGANIZATIONS
Independent Government Agencies
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
Useful publications such as the "World Factbook" and "Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments" online.
National Reconnaissance Office (NRO)
Actually an agency of the DOD, designs, builds, and operates U.S. reconnaisance satellites. The Director of Central Intelligence establishes NRO collection priorities and targeting requirements. From 1961 until 1992 the U.S. did not acknowledge that NRO existed.
Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (DNFSB)
Independent external organization having oversight of all activities in DOE's nuclear weapons complex affecting health and safety. An excellent web site and public service with a searchable database of full-text documents.
National Air and Radiation Environmental Laboratory
Alabama-based organization with an emergency response team to respond to nuclear emergencies anywhere in the world.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
The nuclear civil defense role of FEMA has diminished, as is reflected in the web site.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Only tangentially related to nuclear weapons through common interest in missiles and rockets. The NASA homepage includes links to headquarters and 12 NASA centers and institutes.
National Science Foundation (NSF)
Independent agency established by the National Science Foundation Act of 1950 "to promote the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity, and welfare; and to secure the national defense."
Nuclear Physics Program
DOE/NSF Nuclear Science Advisory Committee (NSAC)
Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
Created in 1974 and taking over the regulatory functions of the disestablished Atomic Energy Commission. Among its responsibilities are to regulate commercial nuclear power reactors, and the transport, storage, and disposal of nuclear materials and waste.
Nuclear Regulatory Commission on FedWorld
Files libraries and message forums including Generic Communications, Health Physics, Status of Public Petitions. NRC Documents can be accessed online at http://www.nrc.gov/fedworld.html.
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL)
A private non-profit organization funded by the U.S. Congress with offices in Washington and Prague. It broadcasts news and current affairs programs daily in 23 languages to listeners in central Europe and the former Soviet Union. The searchable repository of U.S. radio broadcasts to Eastern Europe from 1991- is available online at http://solar.rtd.utk.edu/friends/news/rferl/master.html.
The Smithsonian Institution
Includes the National Air and Space Museum and the Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars.
Woodrow Wilson Center for Scholars
Government-funded research center with programs and projects including the Cold War International History Project, the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies, and the Division of International Studies.
U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP)
Independent, non-partisan federal institution created in 1984 and funded by Congress. It hosts fellows, publishes books and reports, and a bi-monthly magazine, and holds conferences and seminars.
The Internet and the Bomb: A Research Guide to Policy and Information about Nuclear Weapons is written and maintained by William M. Arkin and Robert S. Norris. Any questions, comments or suggestions should be sent to the authors at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. This page was last updated 5/1/97
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- The Clean Energy Way to Fight Climate Change
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 11/8/13
- The Many Ways the Government Shutdown Hurt Public Health and the Environment
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 10/17/13
- Springdale, Utah, a "ghost town," Mayflower spill response slowed and massive furloughs for oversight of nuclear plants in Day 11 of the GOP's government shutdown
- posted by Scott Slesinger, 10/11/13
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.