The Rise and Fall of the Third ICF Review
A Case Study of Bias and Conflicts of Interest in a National Academy of Sciences Review of the National Ignition Facility
A November 1997 study of how an unbalanced, conflict-of-interest ridden panel compromised a report from the Academy's National Research Council on the Department Of Energy's Inertial Confinement Fusion Program, and failed to meet requirements of the Federal Advisory Committee Act. The printed report includes additional attachments containing copies of DOE and NAS documents.
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Executive Summary
- Establishment of the Third NRC-ICF Committee
- Abolishing ICFAC
- Statement of Work of the NRC-ICF Committee
- Selection of the NRC-ICF Committee Members
- Lack of Balance in the Membership of the NRC-ICF Committee
- Efforts to Achieve an Unbiased NRC-ICF Committee
- Conduct of NRC-ICF Committee Meetings
- Lack of Public Availability of Committee Documents
- Will Compliance with FACA Damage the Academy?
- Report Credits and Acknowledgments
- Executive Summary
For copies of the printed report, please send $5.00 plus $1.45 shipping and handling to: NRDC, 1200 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20005, ATTN: Nuclear Publications. California residents must add 7.25% sales tax. International orders add $1.00 to cover airmail postage. Please make checks payable to NRDC in US dollars only.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- The Clean Energy Way to Fight Climate Change
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 11/8/13
- The Many Ways the Government Shutdown Hurt Public Health and the Environment
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 10/17/13
- Springdale, Utah, a "ghost town," Mayflower spill response slowed and massive furloughs for oversight of nuclear plants in Day 11 of the GOP's government shutdown
- posted by Scott Slesinger, 10/11/13
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.