America’s Underwater Parks
The Marine Life Protection Act Safeguards Our Special Undersea Places
More than 130 years ago, the United States began to protect our most treasured areas on land by creating National Parks. Now, California has extended that kind of protection to special marine areas by creating underwater parks. In December 2012, the state completed a network of marine parks along its entire coast to help sustain and revitalize the rich web of ocean life.
last revised 10/2/2013
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Losing Your Voice
- posted by Sharon Buccino, 12/10/13
- Holidays on the Oil Spill Front Lines
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 11/25/13
- Climate change threatens corals - what might this mean for Cabo Pulmo?
- posted by Carolina Herrera, 10/31/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.