All Policy Documents Tagged drought
- In Hot Water: Water Management Strategies to Weather the Effects of Global Warming
Water Management Strategies to Weather the Effects of Global Warming
- Drought and dry conditions withering the western United States are likely to persist and intensify, jeapordizing the region's water supply and water quality, compromising the health of rivers and lakes, and increasing the risk of flooding for Western communities. This NRDC report breaks new ground by analyzing the effects of global warming on a full range of water management tools and offering recommendations to meet the challenge.
- Safe Water in Peril
Addressing the Effects of Global Warming on Safe Drinking Water and Sanitation
- Fact Sheet
- Nearly eight hundred million people do not have access to safe drinking water, and two and a half billion
people live without adequate sanitation. These dire conditions already pose the greatest worldwide threat
to environmental health, and global warming is making matters worse. More frequent, severe droughts and
floods are increasing water shortages and causing widespread contamination and sanitation challenges. To
avoid an outright global water catastrophe, local, national, and international leaders must urgently pursue a two-part strategy of reducing pollution to minimize further climate change and prepare vulnerable communities to deal with the changes in climate already in progress. Get document in pdf.
- Hotter and Drier
The West's Changed Climate
- Human activities are already changing the climate of the American West. This report by the Rocky Mountain Climate Organization (RMCO) and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) shows how the West is being affected more by a changed climate than any other part of the United States outside of Alaska. Embracing available solutions at all levels of government is critical to minimizing further disruption of this region’s climate and economy.
Track Current Legislation
Recent Testimony Before Congress
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
Donate now >