All Policy Documents Tagged smart growth
- Reducing Foreclosures and Environmental Impacts through Location-Efficient Neighborhood Design
- Fact Sheet
- While the nation continues to grapple with a troubling housing market and a rash of mortgage defaults, new research has emerged drawing a direct linkbetween “location efficiency”—a measure of the transportation costs in a given area—and mortgage foreclosure rates. The study shows that factors such as neighborhood compactness, access to public transit, and rates of vehicle ownership are key to predicting mortgage performance and should be taken more seriously by mortgage underwriters, policymakers, and real estate developers. With transportation costs accounting for roughly 17 percent of the average American household’s income, the need for better land use planning and better lending practices has never been more clear. NRDC recommends changes both to planning-related policies and mortgage underwriting procedures that can reduce transportation costs and risk of foreclosure while offering significant environmental benefits. Get document in pdf.
- Communities Tackle Global Warming
A Guide to California’s Sustainable Communities and Climate Protection Act (SB 375)
- Issue Paper
- California's Sustainable Communities and Climate Protection Act, SB 375, is the nation's first legislation to link transportation and land use planning with global warming. SB 375 is an important step toward a cleaner, healthier, and more prosperous California. Locating housing closer to jobs and transit choices and creating walkable communities can reduce commute times, cut millions of tons of global warming pollution, and improve quality of life.
- Checklist for Cars
Today's 'To Do' List to Put America on the Road to Clean Transportation
- Fact Sheet
- America’s commuters just have to look at the morning gridlock to see that our nation’s transportation infrastructure is no longer working. Clogged roads, smog-filled air, and transportation restrictions that fuel our oil dependence and contribute about one-third of our global warming pollution are all indicators that we need to move beyond our outdated approaches to getting around. Cutting-edge solutions available today will make transportation easier, cheaper, and cleaner. NRDC has developed a three-part checklist for adopting smart transportation policies that can carry us into a clean energy future. Get document in pdf.
- Building the Wheels of the Clean Energy Economy
Public Transportation for the 21st Century
- Fact Sheet
- In too many cities and towns across the nation, Americans are spending more time in their cars—and stuck in traffic—when traveling between home, work, and school. This dangerous reliance on our vehicles, which keeps us addicted to oil and causes serious pollution, is a threat to our health, environment, and national security. Developing a modern, efficient public transportation infrastructure will create millions of jobs, reduce our reliance on foreign oil, combat global warming and serve as the foundation of the clean energy economy. Get document in pdf.
- Smart Cities
Solutions for China's Rapid Urbanization
- Issue Paper
- The number of Chinese residents migrating from rural to urban areas in the next two decades will be roughly equivalent to the relocation of the population of the United States, a transformation that may bring disastrous consequences without careful planning. This December 2007 issue paper provides a comprehensive set of recommendations for smart growth strategies that promote more efficient use of land, services, and resources.
- Accelerating the Greening of China
Promoting Cutting-edge Environmental Solutions in China
- In the past three decades, China's explosive growth has resulted in serious environmental problems with impacts beyond China's borders. NRDC is working with key Chinese government agencies, research institutes, lawyers and environmental groups to help promote cutting-edge environmental solutions in China. These factsheets describe NRDC's work to help address some of China's most pressing environmental challenges.
- If You Build It, They Will Come
Americans Want Smart Growth Alternatives to Conventional Transportation
- Fact Sheet
- Smart growth land-use strategies, also known as location-efficient development or “new urbanism,” can save Americans saving thousands of dollars a year in transportation costs, improve quality of life, and provide significant benefits for the environment. Get document in pdf.
Track Current Legislation
Recent Testimony Before Congress
- Testimony of Daniel Lashof Before the Committee on Environment and Public Works, January 16, 2014
- Written statement of Daniel Rosenberg to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommmittee on Environment and the Economy, June 13, 2013
- Oral testimony of Daniel Rosenberg to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommmittee on Environment and the Economy, June 13, 2013
- Oral testimony of Daniel Rosenberg before the Committee on Environment and Public Works, July 31, 2013
- Written statement of Daniel Rosenberg to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, July 31, 2013
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
Donate now >