Policy Solutions: Reports & Issue Papers
More Reports & Issue Papers
- The Clean Power Plan: Building on Ohio’s Clean Energy Accomplishments
- The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio have asked stakeholders to provide guidance on the draft Clean Power Plan, the assumptions that went into setting Ohio's target, and to provide information that the agencies should consider in preparing the state;s comments to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. To that end, NRDC submits these comments on Ohio's carbon reduction opportunities under the Clean Power Plan.
- America's Data Centers Consuming and Wasting Growing Amounts of Energy
Critical Action Needed to Save Money and Cut Pollution
- The explosion of digital content, big data, e-commerce, and Internet traffic is making data centers one of the fastest growing users of electricity in developed countries, and one of the key drivers in the construction of new power plants in some regions of the United States.
- Regional Water Supply Solutions Generally More Cost-Effective than New Dams and Reservoirs
- Fact Sheet
- Investments in water conservation and regional water supplies (Integrated Regional Water Management, or IRWM) have consistently been far more cost effective and less environmentally damaging than investments in new, large reservoir projects in California.
- The Truth About the Biomass Industry
How Wood Pellet Exports Pollute Our Climate and Damage Our Forests
- Fact Sheet
- Wood pellet exports from the United States nearly doubled last year, from 1.6 million tons in 2012 to 3.2
million tons in 2013, and are expected to jump to 5.7 million tons in 2015. More than 98 percent went to Europe, where they were destined for use in foreign power plants to help meet European renewable energy targets. This massive additional demand for logs now risks destroying ecosystems that can never be replaced.
- Florida at an Energy Crossroads
How will the Sunshine State Comply with the EPA Clean Power Plan?
- Florida can seize the opportunity presented by the EPA's Clean Power Plan to respond to the challenge of climate change while taking advantage of its renewables and efficiency potential. By crafting a plan that finally begins to capture these untapped resources, Florida can create jobs, promote innovation in nascent industries, and become more resilient through the diversification of its energy system.
- The Pinto Abalone Deserves Protection Under the Endangered Species Act
- Fact Sheet
- Listing the pinto abalone as endangered or threatened under the Endangered Species Act will enable better enforcement of harvest bans, increased habitat protection, and other conservation measures that are essential to save this West Coast treasure from extinction.
- Sustainability Certification for Biofuels
- Large fuel purchasers are increasingly turning to biofuels to improve their environmental performance. These efforts are well intentioned but warrant caution. While biofuels can certainly provide environmental benefits, they can also cause severe damage if produced unsustainably, because biofuel feedstocks are inextricably linked to land, water, and wildlife.
- The Dusky Shark Should be Listed under the Endangered Species Act
After decades of fishing, the dusky shark is now a species on the brink.
- Fact Sheet
- The northwest Atlantic dusky shark population, the population that lives primarily in U.S. waters, has dropped to between 15 percent and 20 percent of its 1970 level. Despite a more than 10-year-long ban on U.S. recreational and commercial fisheries retaining dusky sharks, the region's population has failed to recover. The dusky shark's highly depleted status in the northwest Atlantic requires strong action now.
Track Current Legislation
Recent Testimony Before Congress
- Testimony of Daniel Lashof Before the Committee on Environment and Public Works, January 16, 2014
- Written statement of Daniel Rosenberg to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommmittee on Environment and the Economy, June 13, 2013
- Oral testimony of Daniel Rosenberg to the House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommmittee on Environment and the Economy, June 13, 2013
- Oral testimony of Daniel Rosenberg before the Committee on Environment and Public Works, July 31, 2013
- Written statement of Daniel Rosenberg to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, July 31, 2013
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
Donate now >