Wetlands at Risk: Imperiled Treasures
How a Supreme Court Decision Jeopardizes Millions of Acres of Waters and Wetlands.
America's wetlands, which provide critical wildlife habitat as well as pollution and flood control, are drained, filled and polluted at an alarming rate. This July 2002 report from NRDC and the National Wildlife Federation looks at the potentially damaging consequences of a January 2001 Supreme Court decision regarding "isolated wetlands," and illustrates the vital role these areas play in ecosystems across the United States.
OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE
Adobe Acrobat file (size: 804 k)
Click here if you need a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader (free)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
(Links indicate sections available as individual webpages)
Great Lakes/Upper Mississippi
The Great Plains
Get Updates and Alerts
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- New Report Shows That Healthy Soils Can Help in the Fight Against Climate Change
- posted by Ben Chou, 11/19/15
- Making Sense of the Clean Water Rule is Easy
- posted by Jon Devine, 11/17/15
- Not In Our National Interest
- posted by Rhea Suh, 11/6/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.