Land of Little Rivers: Fly Fishing in the Catskills
Fly fishing enthusiasts are among the most ardent advocates for clean and healthy rivers. Fly fishermen founded some of the first river conservation groups in the United States, including Hudson Riverkeeper (where NRDC senior attorney Robert F. Kennedy Jr. acts as chief prosecuting attorney). Riverkeeper was formed in the 1960s by fly fisherman and author Robert Boyle, and has spawned 37 similar programs across the country, from Alaska to Georgia and California to Maine.
A book by one of New York's foremost anglers tells the story of fishing and rivers in the Catskill mountains, which occupy about 4,000 square miles west of the Hudson River and supply much of New York City's water. This small, well-worn range of mountains is covered in rivers and streams and is home to the stunning, still undammed Beaverkill River, one of the country's best known and most beloved trout streams.
The photos in this album, by photographer Enrico Ferorelli, are taken from Land of Little Rivers: A Story in Photos of Catskill Fly Fishing, by Austin McK. Francis (Beaverkill Press, 2000).
last revised 1.2.01
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- A Coal Cap in China's Power Sector Can Reduce Air Pollution and Harvest Economic Benefits
- posted by Luan Dong, 2/12/15
- Latin America Green News: climate change impacts coffee in Bolivia, Bay of Panama Wetland protected, new solar plant in Guatemala
- posted by Maria Martinez, 2/6/15
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.