Pure Drink or Pure Hype?
Erik D. Olson, J.D.
With the Assistance of
Diane Poling, J.D.
Gina Solomon, M.D., M.P.H.
NRDC Director of Communications
Cover Design and Photos
Jeff Jenkins/Jenkins & Page
NRDC gratefully acknowledges the following donors for their support of this project: Henry Philip Kraft Memorial Fund of the New York Community Trust, The Town Creek Foundation, Inc., Susan Kendall Newman, and Kathleen Unger. As with all our work, publication of this report would not have been possible without the support of NRDC's 400,000 members.
The author is grateful to David Murphy, J.D., for his valuable research during the early phase of this project, and to Patti Lease, M.S., for her careful fact-checking. The author appreciates the assistance of Alan Metrick, Sharene Azimi, Bonnie Greenfield, and Michele Wolf in making this a far better product than it would have been without their help. The peer reviewers listed below were also extraordinarily helpful. All mistakes are, however, the author's alone.
Special thanks to my family, Anne, Chris, and Luke, for putting up with this seemingly eternal project. Thanks also to all those colleagues at NRDC, Clean Water Fund, and Citizens for a Better Environment, and to many state and federal officials, who helped make this petition and study possible.
Robert Bourque, Ph.D., J.D., Simpson Thacher & Bartlett; Thomas Cochran, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, NRDC; Linda Greer, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, NRDC; Jeffrey Griffiths, M.D., M.P.H., Associate Director, Graduate Programs in Public Health, Tufts University School of Medicine; Robert Morris, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine; Lawrie Mott, M.S., Senior Scientist, NRDC; David Ozonoff, M.D., M.P.H., Professor and Chair of the Environmental Health Department, Boston University School of Public Health; Fred Rosenberg, Ph.D., Professor of Microbiology, Northeastern University; Gina Solomon, M.D., M.P.H., Senior Project Scientist, NRDC; and David Wallinga, M.D., M.P.A., Senior Project Scientist, NRDC. Data verification was conducted by Environmental Data Quality, Inc.
The views presented in this report do not necessarily reflect the opinions of those who helped to review it.
Bottled Water : Pure Drink or Pure Hype?. By Erik D. Olson. April 1999. Print version, $14.00. Order print copies .
last revised 7/15/2013
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- A Coal Cap in China's Power Sector Can Reduce Air Pollution and Harvest Economic Benefits
- posted by Luan Dong, 2/12/15
- Latin America Green News: climate change impacts coffee in Bolivia, Bay of Panama Wetland protected, new solar plant in Guatemala
- posted by Maria Martinez, 2/6/15
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.