Medicines from the Deep
The Importance of Protecting the High Seas from Bottom Trawling
Medical research suggests that novel compounds from the deep sea hold tremendous promise for treating human disease, highlighting the need to protect the fragile deep ocean bottom from destructive fishing practices like bottom trawling.
FULL ISSUE PAPER IN PDF
Adobe Acrobat file (size: 302 k)
- Executive Summary
- Deep Sea Biodiversity and the Threat of Bottom Trawling
- Cancer-fighting Compounds from The Deep
- Other Promising Deep Sea Pharmaceuticals
- Deep Sea Corals in Bone Grafting and Collagen Substitution
- New Research on Deep Sea Microbes
last revised 3/3/2005
Get Updates and Alerts
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Expert Report Can Guide Northeast in Fighting Climate Change Impact on Oceans
- posted by Lisa Suatoni, 1/21/16
- Keep It Under the Sea
- posted by Niel Lawrence, 11/17/15
- California Bans Plastic Microbeads: A Key Step in Reducing Marine Plastic Pollution
- posted by Elizabeth Murdock, 11/13/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.