Priority Ocean Areas for Protection in the Mid-Atlantic
Findings of NRDC's Marine Habitat Workshop
In September 2000, NRDC organized a workshop that brought scientists together to identify specific priority ocean areas in the mid-Atlantic for protection. This report summarizes the results of the scientific workshop in order to foster better understanding, management, and protection of marine species and habitat in federal waters of the mid-Atlantic. The report includes maps reflecting priority areas recommended by each participating scientist.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part 1: Summary of Findings
Part 2: Discussion of Overlapping Priority Areas for Protection
Part 3: Individual Maps and Recommendations
Appendix 1: List of Participants
Appendix 2: Glossary
Appendix 3: Area Covered by Recommendations at NRDC's Mid-Atlantic Workshop
Report Credits and Acknowledgments
Individual Maps and Recommendations
J. Frederick Grassle
Robert D. Kenney
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Holidays on the Oil Spill Front Lines
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 11/25/13
- Climate change threatens corals - what might this mean for Cabo Pulmo?
- posted by Carolina Herrera, 10/31/13
- Save the Whales, Save Ourselves: Why Whales Matter
- posted by Joel Reynolds, 10/15/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.