Priority Ocean Areas for Protection in the Mid-Atlantic
Findings of NRDC's Marine Habitat Workshop
Rationale: migratory corridor
Seasons and depths important for protection: April-October; pelagic and benthic
This inshore corridor, from the coast out to 35 kilometers (i.e., 18.9 nautical miles from the coast, or 15.9 miles into federal waters), is a migratory pathway for fish species of commercial and ecological importance, including bay anchovy, bluefish, striped bass, menhaden, summer flounder, shad, sturgeon, and sharks. It also serves as spawning habitat and a migratory pathway for larval transport to inshore nursery areas. Migration takes place from April through October.
POLYGONS KA2 AND KA3, BORDERING HUDSON CANYON
Seasons and depths important for protection: year-round; benthic
These small areas are between the 100-meter and 300-meter isobaths immediately adjacent to the Hudson Canyon. Funnel-shaped tilefish burrows in the clays on both flanks of Hudson Canyon (up to 3 to 4 meters across and 2 meters deep) provide habitat not only for tile-fish but also lobsters, eels, and crabs and a thermal refuge and over-wintering area for a large number of fish species, including summer flounder, scup, and black sea bass.
Able, Kenneth W. 1999. Measures of Juvenile Fish Habitat Quality: Examples from a National Estuarine Research Reserve. American Fisheries Society Symposium. 22: 134–47.
Vouglitois, J.J., K.W. Able, R.J., Kurtz, and K.A. Tighe. 1987. Life History and Population Dynamics of the Bay Anchovy in New Jersey. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society. 116 (2): 141–53.
for KA2 and KA3
Twichell, D.C., C.B. Grimes, R.S. Jones and K.W. Able. 1985. The Role of Erosion by Fish Shaping Topography Around Hudson Submarine Canyon. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology. 55 (5): 712–19.
Get Updates and Alerts
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Offshore Drilling: Dirty, Dangerous, and Unnecessary
- posted by Franz Matzner, 5/14/15
- New York Assembly Passes Strong Microbeads Bill to Reduce Plastic Pollution
- posted by Ali Chase, 4/29/15
- Members of Congress Take Action to Protect Coastal Communities from Risky Offshore Drilling and Worsening Climate Change Impacts
- posted by Alexandra Adams, 4/22/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.