Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
Sopa de Pescado
~ Evelyn Arévalo, NRDC program assistant, San Francisco
- 1 whole farmed tilapia, scaled and gutted
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, whole
- About 4 cups of assorted vegetables -- such as carrots, onions, green peppers, potatoes, zucchini or chayote -- diced into chunks
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the tilapia well and make sure it is carefully cleaned. If you like, you can squeeze a lemon on it before you wash it. Cut the fish into four big pieces: head, tail and two for the torso.
- Fill a big pot with about 6 quarts of water. Add tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- When the water boils, add the harder vegetables (chayote, potatoes and carrots). After they've started to cook, add the onion, green pepper and zucchini.
- Take out the garlic and place the fish in. The fish cooks in about five to ten minutes; add the spinach leaves just before it is done.
Serves 3 to 4.
Chayote is a type of Mexican squash with crisp flesh -- you can find it in most Latino grocery stores. Also, if you have kids, make sure you take out the bones from the fish before serving.
My husband makes this soup -- we eat it at home with corn tortillas and cold Mexican beer.
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Victory for Whales! Japan Calls Off Its Annual Antarctic Hunt
- posted by Peter Lehner, 4/4/14
- Milestone in Ocean Noise Fight
- posted by Michael Jasny, 4/4/14
- Climate Change Damages are Happening Now & More Severe Impacts are Coming if We Don't Act Aggressively: Key Findings from IPCC report
- posted by Jake Schmidt, 3/31/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.