Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
~ Thom Fox, executive chef, Acme Chophouse, San Francisco
- For the Sardines:
- 16 to 24 fresh sardines, scaled and gutted
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- For the Salsa Verde:
- 1 preserved lemon, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients for salsa verde.
- Season the sardines with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt.
- Heat the grill until the coals are gray and the grill is quite hot. Lay the sardines out and grill quickly on each side, about one minute or so. They should pull away from the grill easily, and the flesh should be firm to the touch when done.
- Remove the sardines from the grill and arrange them on a platter. Spoon salsa verde over each fish. Serve with a crisp spicy salad, such as arugula or watercress, simply dressed. A crisp white wine completes the package.
If you can't find preserved lemons (available at specialty food stores), use the zest of three regular lemons. The sardines can also be cooked under the broiler or in a very hot oven.
I believe that we as chefs have a vested interest in preserving what we can for future generations of chefs and clientele. Helping to act as stewards of the earth's resources and raising our voices to that end is part of our work and responsibility.
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- NRDC Advocate Named "Hero of the Seas" for Creating Underwater Parks
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 5/15/13
- Top 5 Benefits of AB 521
- posted by Brant Olson, 5/9/13
- A Brighter Blue Budget
- posted by Alexandra Adams, 4/26/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.