Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
~ Melissa Bez, NRDC program assistant, Washington, D.C.
- 4 wild Alaskan salmon steaks (or fillets)
Note: Make sure the salmon is wild-caught from Alaska. Farmed salmon can contain PCBs and antibiotic residue. Salmon farming also pollutes the ocean, and escaped farmed fish can spread diseases to wild fish.
- For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the Corn Medley:
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato (orange or red), diced
- 2 yellow (sweet) chili peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Red wine for deglazing
- Whisk together all ingredients for the marinade. Marinate the salmon for four to six hours.
- Grill for five minutes on each side over a medium flame.
- Roast corn in a skillet, without oil, for several minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the apple and peppers along with balsamic vinegar, and continue stirring for several minutes more.
- Stir in the garlic and shallots; then add tomatoes and cilantro and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and allow liquid to reduce down.
This is a favorite family recipe -- I'm not sure of the original source, but we found it in The Arizona Republic years back.
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- NOAA Learns How to Cooperate on Shark Fins
- posted by Seth Atkinson, 2/5/14
- Submarines, Sonar, and the Death of Whales: NRDC Goes Back to Court Against Dangerous Navy Sonar
- posted by Joel Reynolds, 1/27/14
- Ocean Acidification: What is It, and Which Communities are at Risk?
- posted by Lisa Suatoni, 1/24/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.