Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
Kerala-style Fried Fish
~ Shanti Menon, NRDC website editor, New York
- 1 pound farmed tilapia fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- About 3 tablespoons olive or canola oil for shallow frying
- Wash the fillets and pat them dry.
- Combine the spices and salt in a small bowl; add vinegar and combine to form a paste.
- Rub both sides of each fillet with the spice paste.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan on medium-high heat. Fry fillets about two to three minutes on each side. Remove and serve immediately.
Serves 3 to 4.
Frying spicy fish can be a little messy -- a well-ventilated kitchen helps keep smoke and smells to a minimum. Also, try putting a little oil on your hands before handling the spice paste -- this helps keep the turmeric from staining your fingers yellow! Rice is the standard accompaniment to this dish.
In India, my grandmother would make this with a nice, firm fish from the morning's catch, sliced into very thin steaks. My aunt in New Jersey turned me on to using tilapia fillets -- they're always easy to find and work well for this recipe.
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Get Updates and Alerts
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- New York Assembly Passes Strong Microbeads Bill to Reduce Plastic Pollution
- posted by Ali Chase, 4/29/15
- Members of Congress Take Action to Protect Coastal Communities from Risky Offshore Drilling and Worsening Climate Change Impacts
- posted by Alexandra Adams, 4/22/15
- Why we have grave environmental concerns about "fast track" trade authority
- posted by Jake Schmidt, 4/20/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.