Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
(adapted from AllRecipes.com)
~ Erin Kiley, NRDC program assistant, Santa Monica
- 4 farmed catfish fillets, 6 ounces each
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vermouth
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 thin slices ham
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk.
- In a medium dish, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Dredge fillets in flour mixture, dip in milk mixture, then dredge again in flour mixture, making sure to cover both sides thoroughly.
- Pour vegetable oil to 3 inches deep in dutch oven. Fry fillets about six minutes, or until golden brown. Remove fillets, blot dry and keep warm.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook about 30 seconds, stirring often. Stir in vermouth, bring to boil and cook for one minute.
- Add whipping cream, 2 tablespoons green onions, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining pepper, stirring often, about 12 to 15 minutes or until thick.
- Arrange catfish on a plate and drizzle with sauce. Top with ham and remaining green onions.
This recipe originally called for 12 large shrimp in the topping; I often leave them out (it's hard to get truly sustainable shrimp) -- and the ham, too -- and the dish is still delicious.
This is one of my favorite recipes to prepare when I want a delicious (somewhat decadent) restaurant-quality meal. It's a little messy to prepare, but you will be amazed at how rich the flavor is.
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- NOAA Learns How to Cooperate on Shark Fins
- posted by Seth Atkinson, 2/5/14
- Submarines, Sonar, and the Death of Whales: NRDC Goes Back to Court Against Dangerous Navy Sonar
- posted by Joel Reynolds, 1/27/14
- Ocean Acidification: What is It, and Which Communities are at Risk?
- posted by Lisa Suatoni, 1/24/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.