Seafood Specials: Great Recipes that Help Save Oceans
Recipes from NRDC's home cooks and a few of our chef friends help you take the guesswork out of serving a healthy, feel-good seafood meal.
Krissy T's Wild Salmon
~ Kim Ranney, NRDC online marketing and production associate, New York
- 1 pound wild Alaskan salmon
- 1 packet Goya seasoning for fish or store-bought salmon seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sodium-free soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Note: Make sure the salmon is wild-caught from Alaska. Farmed salmon can contain PCBs and antibiotic residue. Salmon farming also pollutes the ocean, and escaped farmed fish can spread diseases to wild fish.
- Combine lemon juice, vinegar and soy sauce for marinade.
- Rub salmon with seasoning and garlic salt, fork the salmon and pour marinade over it. Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler on low for 20 minutes.
- Broil salmon for 10 to 15 minutes, spooning marinade over it during cooking. If water is needed, add by 1/4 cup at a time to pan.
- After salmon is light pink outside, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise across the top and turn broiler to high. Broil until mayonnaise caramelizes. Add water to pan if needed and spoon marinade again over salmon.
Serves 2 to 3.
Serve hot. This dish is great with salad or broccoli and couscous.
I love this salmon dish because it reminds me of dinners with my former roommate, who is a fabulous cook and used to make this for us in our apartment in Astoria, Queens. I miss her home cookin'!
More Tasty (and Sustainable) Seafood Recipes
- Baja Fish Tacos with Cabbage Salsa
- Baked Halibut with Three Colored Peppers and Red Bliss and Fingerling Potatoes
- Buttermilk Fried Fresh Anchovies with Harissa
- Catfish Lafitte
- Chermoula Halibut with Red Quinoa, Edamame and Shell Bean Salad with Preserved Lemon Vinaigrette
- Firecracker Salmon with Roasted Corn Medley
- Grilled Fresh Sardines with Preserved Lemon Salsa Verde
- Honey Salmon
- Kerala-style Fried Fish
- Krissy T's Wild Salmon
- Pacific Cod Potpies with Dill Biscuit Crust
- Poached Alaskan Halibut, Sweet and Sour Golden and Red Beets, Citrus and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion
- Seared Farmed Striped Bass with Chive Whipped Potatoes, Truffle Vinaigrette and Hen of the Woods Mushrooms
- Sopa de Pescado
- Steamed Halibut on a Bed of Leeks and Carrots
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Losing Your Voice
- posted by Sharon Buccino, 12/10/13
- Holidays on the Oil Spill Front Lines
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 11/25/13
- Climate change threatens corals - what might this mean for Cabo Pulmo?
- posted by Carolina Herrera, 10/31/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.