Keeping Our Waters Clean
How Smaller Communities Can Prevent Toxic Runoff
Stormwater runoff is a leading source of coastal pollution in California, damaging the environment and threatening public health. NRDC developed a three-part strategy of prevention, monitoring and enforcement that can help smaller and midsized cities deal with this toxic stormwater runoff before it pollutes local waterways and puts public health at risk. This effective and straightforward plan has already been adopted, and once fully implemented, will successfully manage runoff in coastal communities along the Monterey Peninsula in California.
Keeping Our Waters Clean: How Smaller Communities Can Prevent Toxic Runoff (pdf)
March 2007 Fact Sheet
This fact sheet briefly outlines NRDC's plan to manage stromwater runoff in the Monterey Bay region and can guide other small communities looking for solutions for cleaning up pollution in their own backyards.
A Practical Plan for
Pollution Prevention: Urban Runoff Solutions for the Monterey Region (2 MB pdf)
This 2005 paper analyzes a draft Monterey storm water management program and provides a set of standard pollution prevention programs that can and should be implemented to protect water quality on the Monterey Peninsula.
last revised 3.21.07
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
- Celebrating the International Year of Soils
- posted by Claire O'Connor, 1/30/15
- New Public Polling Research Shows Americans Want Clean Water Safeguards
- posted by Jon Devine, 1/22/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.