Yellowstone's Grizzlies Still Need Protection
NRDC issue briefings and fact sheets explain why removing Yellowstone's grizzlies from the endangered species list puts bears in jeopardy.
Yellowstone Grizzly Bears at Risk: An Overview
This issue paper provides an overview of the recovery effort made possible by the designation of Yellowstone's grizzly bears as endangered species, and outlines the threats that grizzlies in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem continue to face today.
Threatened Grizzly Bear Habitat in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Mounting pressure for development in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem threatens to destroy habitat that the grizzly bear population needs to survive and to continue to grow. Without the habitat protections provided by the Endangered Species Act, these threats will intensify. This fact sheet analyzes the threats posed to grizzly bears by energy development, logging and roadbuilding in bear habitat.
Grizzly Bear Mortality in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Given the small size of the remaining grizzly bear population, the death of an individual bear, especially a female, can threaten the recovery of the entire population. In the area around Yellowstone National Park, most bears die as a result of bear-human conflict. This fact sheet examines why grizzly bear mortality is particularly problematic and discusses the most common causes of bear mortality in Yellowstone.
last revised 2/14/2006
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- New Report on the Destructive Impacts of Energy Development on Wildlife
- posted by Amanda Jahshan, 11/24/15
- No Room to Roam - New Top Ten Report Highlights the Isolation of Yellowstone Grizzly Bears
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 11/18/15
- Milkweed alone will not bring back the monarch butterflies (It's the pesticides, stupid)
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 11/13/15