The Ecological Importance of Predators
Predators have profound effects throughout their ecosystems. Regrettably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services ignores the positive role that predators play in their surrounding habitat, and has a long history of persecuting predators, considered competitors for game animals and threats to livestock and agriculture. As a result, in many areas,large predators have been eliminated entirely and most of these species now occupy only a fraction of their historical distribution.
last revised 3/30/2011
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Please Comment on the Montana Wolf Stamp!
- posted by Zack Strong, 8/12/14
- Governor Cuomo Shuts Down the Country's Biggest Ivory Market
- posted by Elly Pepper, 8/11/14
- "Biological impacts of fracking still largely unknown"
- posted by Amy Mall, 8/5/14