Energy affects every aspect of our lives and shapes our modern society and the environment. NRDC’s Energy & Transportation program works to scale up clean energy to power our buildings, appliances, factories, and vehicles. We promote solutions to end our dependency on fossil fuels to avert dangerous global warming; protect communities and public health; grow the economy; and preserve our water, lands, and oceans.
We work to create more equitable, affordable, resilient, and safer energy systems, focusing on the big solutions as well as transformative strategies needed to meet our goals. Since the 1970s, we have advanced some of the most important technological, policy, legislative, and legal innovations related to clean energy. Our skilled scientists, engineers, attorneys, finance experts, and policy advocates collaborate with a diverse group of partners—including utilities, consumers, industries, and many others—to advocate for clean energy solutions at the national, state, and local levels. A leader in NRDC’s state climate policy work, we played a key role in developing the Northeast’s Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative and California’s groundbreaking Global Warming Solutions Act. We also helped lead the successful campaign to double fuel efficiency of passenger vehicles by 2025.
Our decades of success have led to increased energy security, reduced pollution, slashed energy bills, and the creation of a new clean energy economy.
- Working to ensure the success of the EPA’s groundbreaking Clean Power Plan and to assist states in adopting carbon-pollution plans focused on clean energy
- Improving the energy efficiency of our buildings, appliances, and factories through consumer education, utility energy efficiency programs, improving codes and standards, and advocating for stronger clean energy policies for the nation’s electric transmission grid
- Ending our addiction to fossil fuels by deploying renewable energy technologies, especially wind and solar, while also protecting wildlife and ecosystems
- Strengthening renewable energy policies, including federal and state finance and tax policies; policies to promote solar and other on-site renewables; limiting the use of bioenergy to truly low-carbon sources; and renewable siting policies
- Improving the efficiency of our vehicles and shifting rapidly to cleaner fuels by strengthening fuel efficiency and carbon-pollution standards for our cars and heavy trucks at federal and state levels
- Advancing policies to require automakers to build electric cars and oil companies to sell cleaner fuels