How is the oil boom affecting the quality of life in the Eagle Ford area of Texas? According to a recent article in the San Antonio Express-News, "...the oil boom is straining health care, education and social services." Here are some of the report's findings:
- health care centers are losing administrative staff to the oil companies.
- clinics are seeing a spike in sexually transmitted diseases.
- it is difficult to attract health care professionals to the region because of a severe housing shortage.
- there are more homeless students.
- the San Antonio Food Bank, which serves 16 counties, is seeing a rising number of requests for food from families and seniors in the Eagle Ford Shale who are struggling with higher prices for housing and services.