Mission NRDC works to safeguard the earth—its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends.
Take Action Urge your senators to defend safeguards for critical streams and wetlands.ACT NOW
Support Us Help stop the Big Polluter Agenda and your gift will be triple-matched.DONATE
- Towns in upstate NY are threatening to secede to PA—so they can start fracking
- A giant Nicaraguan canal threatens farming communities and wildlife
- NASA’s new map shows where it’s raining and pouring around the world
- Coral reefs are eating your plastic trash—and no, that isn't a good thing.
As President Obama moves forward with the climate action he laid out in his State of the Union Address, he has strong winds of public support behind him. New polling released Thursday shows that the vast majority of Americans favor...Read More
Western Europe has already lost about 97 percent of its original forests. But European power companies, under pressure to clean up their climate pollution and switch to renewable sources of energy, are increasingly looking to burn wood fuel instead of...Read More
- President Obama announces his plan to protect Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- New York bans fracking after NRDC and its partners make the case for public health
- Meet America’s newest national monument: California’s San Gabriel Mountains
- NRDC and its allies win a court battle to protect wolves in Wyoming
China is home to seven of the world's ten busiest container ports. About 26 percent of all containers across the globe pass through the top 10 Chinese ports every year. Every ship and truck brings pollution along with its cargo, and China is paying a high price for pollution from shipping. In 2010 the country saw an estimated 1.2 million premature deaths caused by ambient air pollution. Since Chinese port cities are among the most densely populated with the busiest ports on the planet, air pollution from ships and port activities likely contributes to much higher public health risks than are found in other port regions.