Premature Mortality Due to Particulate Air Pollution in 239 American Cities
This material is from the May 1996 report from the Natural Resources Defense Council, by Deborah Sheiman Shprentz. See also the addendum.
For printed copies of this report, please send $5.00 plus $3.95 shipping and handling to: NRDC Publications Department, 40 West 20 Street, New York, NY 10011. California residents must add 7.25% sales tax. Please make checks payable to NRDC in U.S. dollars only.
Guide to Mortality and Pollution Tables
The Breath-taking report estimates that approximately 64,000 premature deaths from cardiopulmonary causes may be attributable to particulate air pollution each year. The tables listed below detail those findings.
Top 50 Metropolitan Statistical Areas
These tables consider MSA's ranked by average annual mean PM-10 concentration, by number of premature deaths attributable to particulate air pollution, and by number of premature deaths per 100,000 population attributable to particulate air pollution. Each table identifies the top 50 MSA's of the 239 MSA's for which we have data.
- Ranked by PM-10 Concentration
- Ranked by Attributable Mortality
- Ranked by Attributable Mortality Rate
Top 50 Hot Spots in Metropolitan Statistical Areas
These tables consider individual monitoring stations within MSA's ranked by annual average and 24-hour PM-10 concentration. Each table identifies the top 50 monitoring stations of the 943 stations for which data were available.
Particulate Air Pollution Attributable Mortality
These tables show PM-10 concentration and NRDC's estimate of air pollution attributable deaths within Metropolitan Statistical Areas in each state.
last revised 5/1/1996
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Latin America Green News: efficiency for Chile's mines, manatees for Costa Rica's symbol, debate in Mexico's Senate, carbon from everyone's tropical forests
- posted by Denée Reaves, 7/18/14
- Congress: It's Go Time for Clean Energy Incentives
- posted by Franz Matzner, 4/30/14
- Latin America Green News: Fire ravages Chile's Patagonia, scoring Costa Rica's beaches, and new project proposed near Mexico's Cabo Pulmo reserve
- posted by Denée Reaves, 3/28/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.