Harboring Pollution: Strategies to Clean Up U.S. Ports
U.S. seaports are the largest and most poorly regulated sources of urban pollution in the country. This August 2004 report by NRDC and the Coalition for Clean Air provides practical strategies and policies for port operators, regulatory agencies, and community-based organizations to reduce health-endangering air and water pollution, noise and light pollution that disrupts communities near ports, and harm to marine habitats. The report also provides information on the health effects of pollution from ports and a comprehensive overview of policies governing U.S. marine ports. A companion report, Harboring Pollution: The Dirty Truth about U.S. Ports, grades the activities of the ten largest U.S. ports in the areas of air and water quality, land use, and community relations.
|For printed copies of this report, see our Publications List.|
OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Health and Environmental Effects of Port Pollution
Chapter 2: Improving Port Environmental Management Practices
Chapter 3: Improving Laws and Regulations Governing Ports
Appendix A: Port Land-Use Efficiency Methodology
Appendix B: Additional Technical Information for Mitigation Measures
Appendix C: Model Aquatic Resources Protection Program for Shipping Ports
Appendix D: International Rules and Treaties
Harboring Pollution: Strategies to Clean Up U.S. Ports. By NRDC and the Coalition for Clean Air. March 2004. Print version, $7.50. Order print copies .
last revised 3/18/2004
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- New poll: most scientists oppose increased fracking
- posted by Amy Mall, 2/6/15
- Reducing Black Carbon Emissions is a Win-Win for Public Health and Climate in Latin America
- posted by Amanda Maxwell, 12/5/14
- 8 Million Comments Filed in Support of EPA Limits on Climate Change Pollution
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 12/1/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.