Celebrate Earth Day
Earth Day and NRDC
On April 22, 1970, some 20 million people across the country rallied to protest the state of the planet. Cleveland’s Cuyahoga River, a dump for steel mills and other industries, had caught fire. A massive oil spill swamped the coast off Santa Barbara, and concerns about smog, DDT and water pollution were rising. The very first Earth Day was a grassroots revolution that spurred Congress to create America’s core environmental protection laws, and continues to be a day of celebration and activism worldwide.
NRDC was also born in 1970, as a group of lawyers dedicated to defending the health of the planet and its people. Since then, we’ve fought -– and won -– some historic environmental battles. Explore the history of our victories below!
Explore our progress from 1970 to the present
Recent Earth Day Posts
- A Time of Challenge and Opportunity
- posted by Rhea Suh, 12/31/14
- NRDC founding president John Adams, outgoing president Frances Beinecke, and me. The New Year brings ...
- "I see the green Earth and I want to..."
- posted by Robert Friedman, 4/23/14
- Paint it black?! Some people take the air we breathe and the water we drink for granted. They're willing ...
- Cowboy Indian Alliance Sets Up Camp in DC, Says No Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline
- posted by Elizabeth Shope, 4/23/14
- Today, the Cowboy Indian Alliance set up camp on the National Mall in Washington, DC with a ceremony, ...
For Your Earth Day Table
Printable wallet cards and guides from NRDC
Mercury in Fish
A handy wallet card guide to eating fish safely.
Shop Smart, Save Forests
A shopper's guide to buying forest-friendly tissue, paper towels and toilet paper.
Nursery Shopping Checklist
Set up a safe, earth-friendly nursery for your baby.
A Dozen Things You Can Do
A colorful brochure featuring 12 simple things you can do to keep yourself, and the planet, healthy.
Five Daily Tips for Energy Efficiency
Save money and energy at home.
More from NRDC
This Green Life
NRDC's monthly column on sustainable living.
Green Eating Guide
Tips for making healthy food choices for you and the planet.
A refresher course in the basics, and tips on how to boost your recycling game.
The NRDC FAQ
Got a burning environmental question? Chances are you'll find the answer in our FAQ.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Earth Day Videos
Watch the Video »