Delivering On Renewable Energy Around The World
How Do Key Countries Stack Up?
In 2002, countries met in Johannesburg, South Africa for the 10th anniversary of the first Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. At the Johannesburg Earth Summit, countries committed to: "...substantially increase the global share of renewable energy sources with the objective of increasing its contribution to total energy supply..." Since that time, renewable energy deployment and investment have increased, but work remains. At the 20th anniversary of the 1992 Rio Earth Summit -- Earth Summit 2012, scheduled for this June -- countries, companies, cities, and individuals need to commit to increasing the amount of wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, and wave power throughout the world, to 15 percent of total electricity by 2020 -- more than doubling what is predicted under current trends.
last revised 6/7/2012
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.