Stop Dirty Fuels
Stop Dirty Fuels : Tar Sands : Liquid Coal : Oil Shale
photo: David Dodge, The Pembina Institute Suncor's Millenium Oil Sands Mine east of the Athabasca River.
North America stands at an energy crossroads. As cheap, plentiful conventional oil becomes a luxury of the past, we now face a choice: to set a course for a more sustainable energy future of clean, renewable fuels, or to develop ever-dirtier sources of transportation fuel derived from fossil fuels -- at an even greater cost to our health and environment.
The United States is the world's top oil consumer and thus the primary driver behind the development of new forms of dirty transportation fuels in North America. These fuels are derived from lower-grade, difficult-to-access raw materials, including tar sands, oil shale and coal. Moving down this road has enormous consequences for the air we breathe, the water we drink, our climate, our wildlands and wildlife. NRDC is actively working to fight the infrastructure that would support increased production and use of these fuels, such as tar sands pipelines, refineries, and mining equipment transportation corridor expansions; oil shale mines; and liquid coal production facilities.
More about Dirty Fuels from
NRDC's staff blog
- Arctic on Notice: A Barge Adrift at Sea and Spill Modeling by the World Wildlife Fund Show the Extreme Risks of an Arctic Ocean Oil Spill
- posted by Joshua Axelrod, 3/18/15
- This week, news of the fate of an unmanned barge set adrift in Canada's Beaufort Sea in October finally ...
- Department of Energy data shows Keystone XL is an export pipeline
- posted by Anthony Swift, 3/12/15
- Written with Lorne Stockman, Research Director at Oil Change International The U.S. Energy Information ...
- Three facts you should know about the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline and exports
- posted by Anthony Swift, 3/2/15
- When he vetoed legislation meant to force approval of the proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline last ...
- Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline Veto - Right Decision at the Right Time
- posted by Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, 2/24/15
- Today President Obama vetoed a bill that would have approved the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline. The ...
- Unregulated oil by rail versus Keystone XL: A false choice
- posted by Anthony Swift, 2/18/15
- A column of fire lighting the sky. Oil spilling into a nearby river. If the horrifying images of this ...