Stop Dirty Fuels:
Stop Dirty Fuels : Tar Sands : Liquid Coal : Oil Shale
The coal industry is touting a plan to transform millions of tons of coal into diesel fuel and other liquid fuels using an expensive, inefficient process that releases large quantities of global warming pollution. Producing liquid coal fuel generates twice as much heat-trapping carbon dioxide as producing ordinary gasoline. Even if the CO2 released by liquid coal plants is captured, the emissions would still be higher than the emissions from today's crude oil system.
In addition to nearly doubling global warming pollution, relying on synthetic liquid coal fuel would increase the harmful effects of coal mining on communities and ecosystems from Appalachia to the Rocky Mountains. Stepping up coal production to generate liquid fuels would mean stepping up strip-mining and mountaintop removal, which can destroy wildife habitats, aquifers and open space. Coal mining also produces hazardous and toxic wastes that can contaminate groundwater.
More about Dirty Fuels from
NRDC's staff blog
- Climate Rally in Canada Brings National Attention to the Problem of Tar Sands and Lack of Federal Action
- posted by Joshua Axelrod, 4/15/15
- In one of the largest climate gatherings on record in Canada, more than 25,000 people took to the streets ...
- Another Unpopular Pipeline: Canadians Prefer Protecting the Climate Over Building Energy East and Expanding the Tar Sands
- posted by Joshua Axelrod, 4/9/15
- A week after TransCanada announced that it would abandon a key element of its proposed Energy East tar ...
- Arctic on Notice: A Barge Adrift at Sea and Spill Modeling by the World Wildlife Fund Show the Extreme Risks of an Arctic Ocean Oil Spill
- posted by Joshua Axelrod, 3/18/15
- This week, news of the fate of an unmanned barge set adrift in Canada's Beaufort Sea in October finally ...
- Department of Energy data shows Keystone XL is an export pipeline
- posted by Anthony Swift, 3/12/15
- Written with Lorne Stockman, Research Director at Oil Change International The U.S. Energy Information ...
- Three facts you should know about the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline and exports
- posted by Anthony Swift, 3/2/15
- When he vetoed legislation meant to force approval of the proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline last ...