Rising heat worsens smog. Burning coal and oil emits carbon and particle pollution; plants produce more allergenic pollen, affecting respiratory health threats like asthma.
Find out more
Climate Change Threatens Health
Serious Threats Where You Live and What To Do About Them
Climate change is one of the most serious public health threats facing the nation, but few people are aware of how it can affect them. Children, the elderly, and communities living in poverty are among the most vulnerable. Click on a state on the map for more information on climate-health threats, actions being taken to prepare communities, and what you can do.
VIDEO: Climate Change Threatens Health
Issue Papers and Reports
- Climate and Your Health (2011)
Addressing the Most Serious Health Effects of Climate Change
- Climate Change, Water, and Risk (2010)
Current Water Demands Are Not Sustainable
- Tides of Trouble (2010)
Increased Threats to Human Health and Ecosystems from Harmful Algal Blooms
- The Worst Summer Ever? (2010)
A report on record setting night-time temperatures
- Fever Pitch (2009)
Mosquito-Borne Dengue Fever Threat Spreading in the Americas
- Boosting the Benefits (2008)
Improving Air Quality and Health by Reducing Global Warming Pollution in California
- Preparing for Global Warming (2008)
A Framework for Protecting Community Health and the Environment in a Warmer World
- Sneezing and Wheezing (2007)
How Global Warming Could Increase Ragweed Allergies, Air Pollution and Asthma
- Climate and health briefer for Ohio
- NRDC Senior Scientist Kim Knowlton discusses climate health impacts with an emphasis on Ohio (audio briefing)
- Climate and health briefer for Pennsylvania
- NRDC Senior Scientist Kim Knowlton discusses climate health impacts with an emphasis on Pennsylvania (audio briefing)
Six Ways Climate Change Threatens Health
- Public Health & Environment Voices to FEMA: Put Climate Change in the Picture
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 11/4/13
- Thousands of public health professionals from across the U.S. and around the world are gathering in ...
- Make Health a Priority Post-Sandy, Put Climate Change on the Map
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 10/22/13
- With Hurricane Sandy’s one-year anniversary approaching on October 29th, the country continues ...
- US and India Can Boost Climate Resilience Together
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 9/26/13
- This week, India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Obama are meeting at the White ...
- The Endless Summer: Staying Healthy over a Climate-Changing Labor Day
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 8/29/13
- Labor Day’s almost here, but summer isn’t quite over yet. Many of us can look forward to ...