- The state has been declared a disaster area 4 times since 2000, due to severe storms and flooding;13 the frequency of extreme rainstorms is projected to jump 50-100% by late century.14
- Combined sewer overflows are a health risk for nearly 50 communities, including Detroit and Lansing.15 Sewage spills into Lake Michigan are expected to rise 50-120% by end of century.16
- Extreme rains and rising temperatures can increase risks of harmful, toxic algal blooms in the Great Lakes.17
Protect your family from floods and related illnesses:
- Familiarize yourself with your region's vulnerability to flooding and its local emergency evacuation plans.
- Prepare your own plan -- including where your family will stay in case of flooding and what you'll do if a relative is sickened by contaminated water.
Find out more about the effects of flooding
See more about Michigan's state action plan for flooding