New Orleans Environmental Quality Test Results
Two years after Katrina, the soil in some parts of New Orleans, including schools and playgrounds, is contaminated with high levels of arsenic.
An NRDC scientific team has made repeated trips to New Orleans, beginning in October 2005, to investigate potential health threats in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. The following pages present detailed results of testing by NRDC, the EPA and other groups, as well as a health advisory and cleanup recommendations for individuals and government agencies. Federal officials have failed to monitor adequately for these health risks and have neglected to warn the people of New Orleans of the threat to their safety.
|WATCH THE VIDEO|
A New Day In New Orleans
READ AN OVERVIEW
Rebuilding New Orleans
(GOOGLE EARTH REQ'D)
If you've got Google Earth installed, click here to zoom in on NRDC sampling locations and results.
(Don't have Google Earth? Download it here.)
OR NAVIGATE NRDC'S NEIGHBORHOOD DATA
Press Release 8.27.07: Arsenic Contamination Found at New Orleans Schoolyards
Press Release 2.23.06: NRDC Analyzes EPA Sediment Data
Press Release 12.28.05: Updated Mold Findings and Advice
Press Release 12.1.05: Sediment Findings
Press Release 11.16.05: Mold Findings
2006 TESTING RESULTS
2005 TESTING RESULTS
NRDC TEST RESULTS BY NEIGHBORHOOD
Bywater (Agriculture St. Landfill)
Lower Ninth Ward
New Orleans East
St. Bernard Parish
NRDC'S PARTNERS IN THE NEW ORLEANS AREA
Advocates for Environmental Human Rights
Deep South Center for Environmental Justice
Louisiana Bucket Brigade
Louisiana Environmental Action Network
People's Hurricane Relief Fund
Physicians for Social Responsibility-Louisiana
Sierra Club, Delta Chapter
last revised 8.24.07
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Will Subway make a 21st century decision on antibiotics in its 50th anniversary year?
- posted by Lena Brook, 6/23/15
- New climate-health report in The Lancet: our opportunity moment is now
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 6/23/15
- Tackling Climate Change Could Be The 21st Century's Greatest Health Opportunity, Medical Journal Report Says
- posted by Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, 6/22/15