PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
Eating Tuna Safely
This table provides guidelines on how much canned tuna it is safe to eat, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. While mercury poses the most serious health threat to children and women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, others may also wish to use this list as a guide.
|If you weigh:||Don't eat more than one can every:|
|White Albacore||Chunk Light|
|20 lbs||10 weeks||3 weeks|
|30 lbs||6 weeks||2 weeks|
|40 lbs||5 weeks||11 days|
|50 lbs||4 weeks||9 days|
|60 lbs||3 weeks||7 days|
|70 lbs||3 weeks||6 days|
|80 lbs||2 weeks||6 days|
|90 lbs||2 weeks||5 days|
|100 lbs||2 weeks||5 days|
|110 lbs||12 days||4 days|
|120 lbs||11 days||4 days|
|130 lbs||10 days||4 days|
|140 lbs||10 days||3 days|
|150+ lbs||9 days||3 days|
|Source: Food and Drug Administration test results for mercury and fish, and the Environmental Protection Agency's determination of safe levels of mercury.|
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, use this guide to see what amounts of fish caught and sold commercially are safe to eat.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Walmart's antibiotic use announcement: Less than meets the eye
- posted by David Wallinga, MD, 5/22/15
- Latin America Green News: coffee and birds both face climate threats, bees and monarchs get a boost from Obama, geothermal and solar progress in Central America
- posted by Maria Martinez, 5/22/15
- Latin America Green News: Colombia bans glyphosate fumigations, Santiago's toxic air, Brazil's rising wind energy
- posted by Maria Martinez, 5/15/15