Clearing the Air
Hidden Hazards of Air Fresheners
Air fresheners have become a staple in many American homes and offices, marketed with the promise of creating a clean, healthy and sweet-smelling indoor atmosphere. But this September 2007 issue paper shows that many of these products contain phthalates (pronounced thal-ates) -- hazardous chemicals known to cause hormonal abnormalities, birth defects and reproductive problems. To protect consumers, government action to conduct more thorough tests and enact basic measures to limit exposure to phthalates is urgently needed.
From Berry Burst to Cleansing Rain: 14 Air Fresheners Tested
Masking the Risk: Phthalates Found in Majority of Fresheners
Appendix A: Methodology of Laboratory Procedure, Provided by Analytical Sciences Laboratories
Appendix B: Phthalates Tested in Each Sample and Lab Reporting Detection Limit
UPDATE 9.20.07: Walgreens announced that it will remove Walgreens brand air fresheners from stores and conduct independent testing. The company also plans to introduce phthalate-free air fresheners soon. NRDC praises Walgreens for its quick response. UPDATE 3.12.09: SC Johnson announced it will provide ingredient information for all of its air care and home cleaning products and phase out its remaining use of phthalates by 2012.
last revised 9/18/2007
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Identifying Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals Using ToxCast and Authoritative Lists
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 3/4/15
- Show the Show-Me-State a More Energy Efficient Home: A Call for Consideration of Affordable Rental Housing in Missouri's State Energy Plan
- posted by Ariana Gonzalez, 2/25/15
- The market is leading the way on reducing antibiotics in meat production, but it's not enough
- posted by Avinash Kar, 2/19/15