In Deep Water: The Anatomy of a Disaster, the Fate of the Gulf, and How to End Our Oil Addiction
- If you're looking for something that connects the dots between the BP oil disaster, the harm it's done to the Gulf of Mexico and the people paying the price, this book is it. In a clear and compelling voice, it explains the worst environmental catastrophe of our time, then shows the way forward to protect this national treasure, safeguard our future and break our destructive addiction to oil.
- -- Robert Redford
In the last few months we have witnessed one of the worst manmade environmental disasters in history.
On April 20, 2010, when Deepwater Horizon's well blew out, resulting in a massive explosion, eleven lives were lost, millions of barrels of crude oil poured into one of the world's prime fishing grounds, and the resultant slick covered 2,500 square miles.
Why did it happen? What led us to this tragic point? How can we avoid such accidents in the future? In Deep Water benefits from the combined resources of the 400 scientists, activists, and researchers at the Natural Resources Defence Council and provides thorough answers to these questions.
Peter Lehner, former Executive Director, NRDC also teaches environmental law at Columbia University Law School. Chief of the Environmental Protection Bureau of the New York State Attorney General's Office for eight years, he created and led New York City's Environmental prosecution unit. He is a frequent contributor on NRDC's Switchboard blog.
Bob Deans, author of the 2007 book The River Where America Began: A Journey Along the James, was the Chief Asia Correspondent for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and other Cox newspapers, and spent eight years covering the White House. He also contributes on Switchboard.
More on the Gulf Spill from NRDC Experts on Switchboard
- Tentative Settlement in the Deepwater Horizon Case
- posted by David Pettit, 7/7/15
- There was a tentative settlement last week in the Clean Water Act lawsuit that the US government brought ...
- Court Ruling Could Require BP to Pay Billions in Fines for Gulf Oil Spill Restoration
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 9/5/14
- A federal judge ruled on Thursday that BP acted with “gross negligence” in the 2010 Gulf ...
- Four Years after BP Oil Disaster Many Lessons Remain Unlearned
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 4/18/14
- Four years ago this weekend, the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded, killing 11 men and sending 170 million ...
- Holidays on the Oil Spill Front Lines
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 11/25/13
- This will be J.J. Creppel's last Thanksgiving at his home in Plaquemines Parish, a sliver of marshy ...
- Gulf Rig Fire is Deja Vu for Fishermen Still Reeling from BP Disaster
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 8/1/13
- Hercules Offshore rig on fire/U.S. Coast Guard photo When the Hercules Offshore Inc. gas well blew ...
- Latest Blowout in the Gulf Shows America Still Hasn't Learned Lessons of BP Disaster
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 7/26/13
- A natural gas platform in the Gulf of Mexico blew out Tuesday night, igniting a fire and forcing the ...
In Deep Water
The Anatomy of a Disaster, the Fate of the Gulf, and How to End Our Oil Addiction
By Peter Lehner
with Bob Deans
Buy it now on Amazon!
All Royalties from sales of this book go to NRDC's Gulf Coast recovery efforts.
More about the Gulf Spill from...
- NRDC's Gulf Spill page
- Go Below the Surface of the Gulf Oil Disaster: An interactive guide to the spill's effects on the ecosystem
- NRDC on the Ground: Video and Photos
- NRDC's Work in the Gulf: Since 2005, NRDC has been working to support Gulf communities to protect their health and environment, and now we've opened our Gulf Coast Resource Center.
- Gross Negligence
- posted by Rocky Kistner, 9/5/14
- It was fitting that I was standing on board an oyster boat in Louisiana’s Barataria Bay yesterday when ...
- Al Roker, It's Your Time to Shine, Fracking Car Crashes, Down the L.A. Gutter
- posted by Jason Bittel, 5/6/14
- Weatherman roundup: Today as the government releases its National Climate Assessment, President Obama ...
- Wag the Humpback, El Niño Fortune Telling, Beware the Pollen Vortex!
- posted by Jason Bittel, 4/23/14
- Oh, Canada… : The Canadian government has de-listed the humpback whale! So good to hear that the animals ...