NRDC's India Initiative on Climate Change and Clean Energy
India is emerging both as an economic powerhouse and a global environmental leader. As India's economy charges ahead, the country needs to produce more energy to provide a better life for its people, many of whom live in rural areas and are very poor. At the same time, India has recognized that tackling climate change is in its own national interests. The nation is taking concrete measures to constrain its own emissions and to protect its people from climatic disruptions.
NRDC's India Initiative on Climate Change and Clean Energy, launched in 2009, works with partners in India to help build a low-carbon, sustainable economy.
Our work in India involves four interrelated projects, which build on decades of NRDC's experience confronting environmental challenges in the United States and around the world.
NRDC Photos from India on Flickr
Enhancing U.S.-India Cooperation on Climate Change
India is already a major greenhouse gas emitter and key player in the international climate arena. Cooperation between India and the United States on climate change and clean energy is improving significantly. This growing relationship holds tremendous promise for the economies of both countries and could serve as a model for enhanced global efforts to respond to the climate crisis.
- NRDC is working with key policymakers in both nations to substantially increase bilateral cooperation on climate change and clean energy.
- In the United States, we are providing information and analysis to government officials, media, and the public about the efforts India is making to address climate change. In India, we do the same for U.S. climate change legislation, policies and programs. Our efforts are increasing awareness and understanding in both nations about the other's climate change actions.
Increasing Building Efficiency
Buildings already account for more than 30 percent of India's electricity use, and two-thirds of the buildings that will exist in India by 2030 have yet to be built. NRDC is partnering with Indian groups to share our efficiency expertise on buildings and appliances, with the goal of creating efficiency solutions for the Indian context.
- In Hyderabad, a major high-tech center, we are working on the ground with city officials, technical experts, real estate groups, universities and banks to increase building efficiency by implementing India's Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC).
- We are also engaging with energy experts to increase efficiency in India's booming consumer appliance market by improving standards, testing, and harmonization -- making sure companies sell their most efficient products in all countries -- for appliances such as televisions, air conditioners and lighting.
Preparing for Public Health Impacts of Climate Change
Heat waves, floods, and infectious disease outbreaks are just some of the public health threats in India that could by exacerbated by climate change. Communities need the ability to assess their own climate-related public health risks and put effective adaptation measures into place.
- NRDC is working on the ground with a premier Indian health organization to develop a climate-health preparedness plan in a major Indian city, focused on preventing heat-related deaths and illnesses.
- We are working to assess the vulnerabilities of local communities to extreme heat events and to develop municipal strategies for preparing and responding to climate emergencies.
Strengthening Environmental Governance
India is working to bolster its institutional capacity to implement and enforce existing environmental laws – through efforts that include the new National Green Tribunal and proposals to improve environmental compliance. Compliance with environmental laws is critical to constraining emissions.
- NRDC is working with India's environmental groups and government officials to assist in these critical efforts by sharing best practices to improve compliance, based on NRDC's experience in the United States and elsewhere.
- We are engaging with civil society groups and community organizations to better understand the effects of India's rapid development on the environment and share comparative strategies for reducing air and water pollution and protecting public health.
More about India from:
- Fighting Climate Effects: Protecting People from Extreme Heat in One of India's Fastest-Growing Cities
- Saving Energy: Taking Building Efficiency to New Heights
- Harnessing the Power of Science: India and the United States Collaborate to Create Opportunity for Breakthrough Clean Energy Research
- Capturing Energy Savings Opportunities Through Increased Building Efficiency
- India Focus: Principles for Effective Environmental Governance
- India: Addressing Climate Change and Moving Towards a Low-Carbon Future
- The Greening of U.S.-Indian Relations
Reports and Issue Papers
- Saving Money and Energy: Case Study of the Energy-Efficiency Retrofit of the Godrej Bhavan Building in Mumbai
- Rising Temperatures, Deadly Threat: Preparing India's Local Populations for Extreme Heat Events
- Laying the Foundation for a Bright Future: Assessing Progress Under Phase 1 of India's National Solar Mission
- Concentrated Solar Power: Heating Up India's Solar Thermal Market under the National Solar Mission
- Constructing Change: Accelerating Energy Efficiency in India's Buildings Market
- Climate Change and Health Preparedness in India: Protecting Local Communities in Ahmedabad, Gujarat from Extreme Heat
- India Initiative Briefing Report on Effective Environmental Governance and Compliance
- The Greening of U.S.-Indian Relations: A Review of Cooperation between the United States and India on Climate Change and Energy
- Taking Energy Efficiency to New Heights: Analysis and Recommendations for the Buildings Sector from the Hyderabad Experience
- Calls for Action at U.S. - India Energy Partnership Summit in DC; Extreme Heat in hits Ahmedabad
- posted by Grace Gill, 5/21/13
- India Green News is a selection of news highlights about environmental and energy issues in India May ...
- Energy Efficiency Helps India Save Money and Breathe Easier
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 4/25/13
- Rolling blackouts plagued India last summer. More than 700 million people were left without power for ...
- Show Me the Money: Making the Business Case for Energy Efficiency in India's Skyrocketing Building Market
- posted by Anjali Jaiswal, 4/18/13
- Today, we unequivocally answered the question that developers ask the most: can you prove that ...
- How One High-Rise Can Help Drive Energy Savings Throughout India
- posted by Radhika Khosla, 4/18/13
- The 2013 Clean Energy Ministerial concluded today in New Delhi, with ministers from more than 20 countries ...
- Ahmedabad, India Launches Pioneering Heat-Health Action Plan
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 4/16/13
- Today is hot in Ahmedabad, India, at 40⁰Celsius (about 104⁰F) --but more than that, it’s an historic ...
- India, Enlightened
- Thanks to Slumdog Millionaire, India is hot. Thanks to entrepreneurs, it's booming. Now a new government has to raise a billion people out of poverty without wrecking the environment. What's a poor country to do?
- On The Bumpy Road To Livable Streets In India
- China, India Join Copenhagen Climate Accord