National Ignition Facility and Science-Based Stockpile Stewardship Resource Page
This archive of documents and related NRDC commentary is intended to promote public awareness of both the U.S. Department of Energy's nuclear "Stockpile Stewardship" strategy and the National Ignition Facility, a laser facility under construction that constitutes a major component of the department's strategy. The NIF and other elements of the Stockpile Stewardship program represent a sizable reinvestment in nuclear weapons research capabilities, which runs counter to the goal of reducing nuclear arms. Last updated February 7, 2000.
The sections below contain NRDC narrative and related government documents, many of which have not been made available electronically until now, as well as our own additional letters, memos, comments, and analyses. Related documents are also indexed by source and by date.
Get Updates and Alerts
- New Report: "Tectonic Shift" in U.S. Energy Use--Renewables Surging; Coal, Oil, and Electricity Down
- posted by Ralph Cavanagh, 10/8/15
- China Environmental News Alert - April 24, 2015
- posted by NRDC China Team, 4/24/15
- CTBT ratification still uncertain after 15 years of advancement in nuclear test monitoring
- posted by Bemnet Alemayehu, 11/21/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- Working with the Department of Defense: Siting Renewable Energy Development Natural
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.