When Peer Review Fails
The Roots of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) Debacle
This June 2000 report from NRDC's nuclear program details serious problems with the National Ignition Facility, a laser facility under construction by the Department of Energy at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, including enormous cost overruns as well as the likely inability of the project to achieve its primary mission -- fusion ignition. The report, written by NRDC senior researcher Christopher Paine, also offers recommendations regarding the future of the NIF.
Related NRDC Pages
NRDC's NIF and Stockpile Stewardship Resource Page
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- China Environmental News Alert - September 26, 2014
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 9/26/14
- Feeling a Cold War Chill over Ukraine
- posted by Matthew McKinzie, 7/23/14
- China Environmental News Alert
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 6/22/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
- An Evaluation of the NRC Response to the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.