Weaponeers of Waste
A Critical Look at the Bush Administration Energy Department's Nuclear Weapons Complex and the First Decade of Science-Based Stockpile Stewardship
This April 2004 report from NRDC's nuclear program provides an independent assessment of the U.S. nuclear "stockpile stewardship" program, whose purpose is to guarantee a safe, reliable nuclear weapons stockpile in absence of full-scale underground testing. The report found that, despite the end of the Cold War, the Bush administration is spending 12 times more on nuclear weapons research and production than on nonproliferation efforts to retrieve, secure and dispose of nuclear weapons materials worldwide. The report focuses on a half-dozen DOE nuclear weapons projects, revealing they are billions of dollars over budget and years behind in meeting their goals.
OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1: Real Funding Growth for Nuclear Weapons in a Budget Burdened by Deficits
2: The Dual Axis Radiographic Hydrotest Facility (DARHT)
3: Does the Nation Really Need Nukes with "Micro-Machines" Inside?
4: Advanced Simulation and Computing Initiative (ASCI) Campaign
5: The National Ignition Facility (NIF)
6: The Pit Manufacturing and Certification Campaign
7: Beware Warnings of an Impending Tritium Gap
8: Conclusions and Recommendations
Appendix: What Things Really Cost in the NNSA "Weapons Activities" Budget
Glossary of Acronyms and Technical Terms
last revised 4/12/2004
Get Updates and Alerts
- New Report: "Tectonic Shift" in U.S. Energy Use--Renewables Surging; Coal, Oil, and Electricity Down
- posted by Ralph Cavanagh, 10/8/15
- China Environmental News Alert - April 24, 2015
- posted by NRDC China Team, 4/24/15
- CTBT ratification still uncertain after 15 years of advancement in nuclear test monitoring
- posted by Bemnet Alemayehu, 11/21/14
Nuclear Document Bank
- Working with the Department of Defense: Siting Renewable Energy Development Natural
- NRDC’s Perspectives on the Economics of Small Modular Reactors
- NRDC's Amicus Response in Support of Friends of the Earth
Related NRDC Press Releases
- NRDC Senior Nuclear Scientist Unveils Radiation Dosage Data at Senate Hearing
- Nuclear Security Summit Fosters an Illusion of Achievement, Says NRDC
- NRDC Reacts to the Obama Administration's Nuclear Posture Review
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.