What's On Tap?
Grading Drinking Water in U.S. Cities
This June 2003 NRDC study of drinking water quality in 19 U.S. cities finds that pollution and deteriorating, out-of-date plumbing are sometimes delivering drinking water that might pose health risks to some residents -- and unless steps are taken now, tap water will get worse. The report issues grades to each municipal water system studied in three problem areas -- water quality and compliance, source water protection, and right-to-know compliance -- and outlines a plan for protecting the nation's drinking water supply.OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE [En Español]
Press Release: What's on Tap
Background: Limiting Clean Water Act Could Contaminate Drinking Water
FAQ: Tap Water Quality and Safety
Study Finds Safety of Drinking Water in U.S. Cities at Risk
Or See Individual Cities
TABLE OF CONTENTS
(Links indicate sections available as individual webpages)
Background (106k PDF)
Water Quality and Compliance (101k PDF)
Right-to-Know Reports (90k PDF)
Source Water Protection (79k PDF)
Common Tap Water Contaminants (161k PDF)
What's the Score? (84k PDF)
Tap Water at Risk (79k PDF)
City Summaries (in pdf format):
Albuquerque, NM | Atlanta, GA | Baltimore, MD | Boston, MA | Chicago, IL | Denver, CO | Detroit, MI | Houston, TX | Manchester, NH | New Orleans, LA | Newark, NJ | Philadelphia, PA | Phoenix, AZ | Seattle, WA | Washington, DC
ADDITIONAL WEB RESOURCES
City-by-City Table of Links
Albuquerque, NM | Chicago, IL | Denver, CO | Fresno, CA | Houston, TX | Los Angeles, CA | Newark, NJ | Phoenix, AZ | San Diego, CA | San Francisco, CA
last revised 6/11/2003
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- What does California's Drought Mean for the Proposed Bay-Delta Tunnels?
- posted by Doug Obegi, 3/24/15
- New Tar Sands Water Policy from Government of Alberta Favors Industry
- posted by Danielle Droitsch, 3/13/15
- A Coal Cap in China's Power Sector Can Reduce Air Pollution and Harvest Economic Benefits
- posted by Luan Dong, 2/12/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.