Cesspools of Shame
How Factory Farm Lagoons and Sprayfields Threaten Environmental and Public Health
This July 2001 report from NRDC and the Clean Water Network documents how animal waste from factory farms threatens human health and our nation's rivers. Most factory farms store animal waste in open lagoons as large as several football fields. Lagoons routinely burst, sending millions of gallons of manure into waterways and spreading microbes that can cause gastroenteritis, fevers, kidney failure, and death. This report lists the track records of the largest polluters and recommends existing technology that is safer and more sustainable.
|For printed copies of this report, see our Publications List.|
TABLE OF CONTENTS
(Links indicate sections available as individual webpages)
Factory Farm Pollution is a Growing Problem
The Lagoons and Sprayfields of the Largest Corporations
Health Effects of Lagoons and Sprayfields
Water Quality Impacts of the Lagoon and Sprayfield System
Alternative Approaches to the Lagoon and Sprayfield System
Get Updates and Alerts
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- Act Now to Stop Congressional Attack on Clean Water Safeguards
- posted by Jon Devine, 4/27/15
- New Senate Bill Would Repeal Clean Water Act
- posted by Jon Devine, 4/25/15
- Fashion Revolution Day 2015
- posted by Linda Greer, 4/24/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.