Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health
Coal-fired power plants threaten the environment and your health.
Burning coal releases enormous amounts of harmful pollutants into our environment, often with serious health consequences. In addition to the staggering amounts of greenhouse gases and tons of mercury released into the air, disposal methods for the waste left at the bottom of the stacks presents a serious threat to ground and surface waters -- and the people who rely on these sources for safe drinking water. To protect our families and communities from the dangers of burning goal, we must move away from dirty coal-based energy. These NRDC publications describe the health hazards of our continued reliance on coal.
Dirty Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health: Moving Beyond Coal-Based Energy
Coal-fired power plants are among the most polluting industrial facilities releasing toxins into the air we breathe and the water we drink.
Dangerous Disposals: Keeping Coal Combustion Waste Out of Our Water Supply
Each year, America's coal-fired power plants and industrial facilities produce approximately 130 million tons of coal combustion waste containing pollutants like arsenic, mercury, lead and other toxic substances.
Coal Combustion Waste in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania produces millions of tons of coal combustion waste every year. This paper discusses one Pennsylvania site with evidence of water contamination from coal combustion waste: the Hatfield's Ferry Power Station site in Monongahela Township (Greene County).
last revised 10/11/2007
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- 2,4-D or not 2,4-D? That is EPA's question.
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 9/23/14
- Neonicotinoid pesticides - bad for bees, and may be bad for people too
- posted by Jennifer Sass, 9/17/14
- China Environmental News Alert - September 12, 2014
- posted by Greenlaw from NRDC China, 9/12/14