Concentrated Solar Power
Heating Up India’s Solar Thermal Market under the National Solar Mission
Solar power can play a significant role in a secure and diversified energy future for India as the country becomes a hub for solar projects. More specifically, concentrated solar power (CSP) could have a unique role in India's energy mix. Its potential to use hybrid technologies and easily add storage could unlock dispatchable and base-load power, setting the stage for larger renewable energy penetration. Despite these advantages, much more needs to be done to scale up CSP sustainably.
As an addendum to our previous report on solar photovoltaic projects, Laying the Foundation for a Bright Future: Assessing Progress under Phase 1 of India's National Solar Mission, this report focuses on the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission's objectives, targets, and incentives for grid-connected CSP projects in India. This report presents findings and recommendations to strengthen the next phase of the Mission, drawing from extensive individual and group stakeholder discussions as well as research and analysis of national, state, and international programs.
last revised 11/21/2014
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury: Contents, Guidance, and Resources
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury is an international treaty that addresses the global problem of mercury pollution.
- China's Budding Environmental Movement
- Attorney Alex Wang talks about what it's like to be in on the ground level of a new environmental movement.
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.