Community Responses to Runoff Pollution
This May 1999 report from the Natural Resources Defense Council documents some of the most effective strategies being employed by communities around the country to control urban runoff pollution, which is among the top sources of water contamination in the country today. The collection of 100 case studies compiled and evaluated here is intended to serve as a guide for local decisionmakers, municipal officials, and environmental activists; it is also a resource for citizens concerned about the quality of their local environment. Added in October 2001 is a new chapter on low-impact development, which has emerged as a simple, effective and economical stormwater strategy that also carries a broader aesthetic appeal.
|For printed copies of the original report, or a CD ROM that includes color photographs and the new chapter on low-impact development, see our Publications List.|
OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE
Summary: Case Studies of Urban Stormwater Solutions
Fact Sheet: The Problem of Urban Stormwater Pollution
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Findings and Recommendations
Chapter 2: The Causes of Urban Stormwater Pollution
Chapter 3: The Consequences of Urban Stormwater Pollution
Chapter 4: Funding and Gaining Support for Stormwater Programs
Chapter 5: Stormwater Strategies: Findings from the Case Studies
Chapter 6: Strategies in the Northeast
Chapter 7: Strategies in the Southeast
Chapter 8: Strategies in the Central Southwest
Chapter 9: Strategies in the Northern Rockies and Pacific Southwest
Chapter 10: Strategies in the Pacific Northwest
Chapter 11: Strategies in the Midwest
Chapter 12: Low Impact Development
Report Credits and Acknowledgments
Table 1-1: Case Study Summaries
Table 2-1: Impacts from Increases in Impervious Surfaces
Table 2-2: Categories of Principal Contaminants in Stormwater
Table 2-3: Sources of Heavy Metals from Transporation
Table 2-4: Six Pesticides Found Frequently in Stormwater Samples
Table 4-1: Municipalities with Stormwater Utilities
Table 5-1: Percentage of Municipalities That Employ Each BMP -- Data from Two Surveys
Get Updates and Alerts
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- Latin America Green News: Climate change pushes migration in Nicaragua , deforestation rises in Bolivia, renewables grow in Honduras and Uruguay
- posted by Maria Martinez, 6/29/15
- Building a Tar Sands Resistance
- posted by Robert Friedman, 6/11/15
- More water-saving turf removal? Coming right up! But let's not forget our other water needs
- posted by Johanna Dyer, 6/5/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.