The White House website changed on queue today and includes an exciting new Energy and Environment page. There in the middle are 6 bullets on how to eliminate our current imports from the Middle East and Venezuela within 10 years. Check out the 4th (emphasis added):
- Increase Fuel Economy Standards.
- Get 1 Million Plug-In Hybrid Cars on the Road by 2015.
- Create a New $7,000 Tax Credit for Purchasing Advanced Vehicles.
- Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard.
- A “Use it or Lose It” Approach to Existing Oil and Gas Leases.
- Promote the Responsible Domestic Production of Oil and Natural Gas.
There's also an RPS commitment and a commitment to implement a economy-wide cap-and-trade program to reduce GHG emissions by 2050 and make the U.S. a leader on climate change.
Did I mention this is on the website of the White House?